Saturday, July 13, 2013

It is our job to remind people how much they are loved, by first remembering it ourselves


Last night I found myself, again, entangled in a conversation with a good friend’s husband – a fallen away Catholic who freely, and quite frequently, shares the reasons why.  The Church is hypocritical.  She continues to screw up and push people away, and she best be changing if she hopes to maintain even the dim, flickering glow of relevance she has within American society. 

I’ve found myself, before, striving to maintain patience – with Paul but especially with myself – during such discussions, especially when I start to sound more like an evangelist attempting conversion more so than like a friend engaging in conversation.  I Nearly unconsciously, I begin praying that my studies in theology will kick in and prove usefulness, allowing their principles to be expressed with a portion of the beauty and logic with which they were learned.  But last night’s conversation ended differently than most those of the past – even with no marked improvement in my apologetics. 

I think it started when I allowed myself to admit my vulnerability, and the at times shared frustration with understanding and forgiving the Church.  Then, I confessed, rather spontaneously, that, even with all of its aloof ecclesiological designs (“What’s the whole obsession with the clergy, and why hasn’t the pedophile priest phenomenon sobered people up to the weaknesses of the elite class they place in positions of authority?”), and supposed gaps in Christology (“What gave some old white men the ability to throw out books of the Bible, and hasn’t the History channel proven that the Arch of the Covenant is really the secret of Christ’s offspring,”), I believe in the Church, not because I believe whole-heartedly in the identity of the Bishops, priests, and laity in carrying out the teaching of Christ, but because I believe in Christ. I may remain a tormented Catholic striving to understand the trappings of an institution that was created to defend and support a community, but I am not tormented in the legitimacy of that community, and the historical fact that Christ entered into human history, walked and spoke among a certain geography, was killed even though he preached healing and peace, and left a devoted, albeit feared and persecuted, group of scoundrels to show for it.

From that point on the conversation took a welcomed, softer cadence.  Love, as completely undeserved as it was and as likely as it is to be misunderstood and miscommunicated until the end of our days, was enough to lift our gaze from the methods of persuasion, and bring merit to our entire deliberation.

“Nothing is concealed that will not be revealed, nor secret that will not be known,” Matthew says Jesus said in the Gospel today.  “What I say to you in darkness, speak in the light; what you hear whispered, proclaim on the housetops.  And do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul … Even all the hairs on your head are counted.”  The love Christ has for each of His children is revolutionary: we can imagine the sacrifice it takes to devote your life to someone who is virtuous and will know for the rest of his days life how indebted he is to you.  It’s much more difficult, and more mysterious, to imagine the devotion and resolve that was required when He who is spotless and good allowed himself to be handed over and killed for a people who could never know the story, never grapple with the significance, and continue to resist the mercy of such an act. 

Even when words seem to evaporate and the ability to draw intricate themes and conclusions hide from our tongues, we have the work of reminding people of this good news, this good story—the good man and how much He loves us.  Because it is so different from the love we see gestured all around us, it may be met with denial, opposition, even spite.  But, that just gives us all the more opportunity to join with the sufferings and the irony of being hated for trying to remind people of how loved they are. 

No comments:

Post a Comment